2.12.2007

Death. Hooray! Death. No. No. NO! Death is Sad.

I went to the wake the other day for an old man. An old man who after years of loving his wife, family and community, couldn't bear the burden of his degenerative arthritis and took his life.

I went to the wake the other day, and met members of this kindly man's family. I hugged his wife, daughter, son, and I shook his grandsons' hands.

I went to the wake the other day, not knowing anyone but his daughter and wife. Left the wake seeing that along with raising a family, this man touched hundreds or even maybe thousands of people during his lifetime. It took literally two hours to stand in line at the funeral home waiting to pay my respects and get one last look at this fine, fine man.

I went to the wake the other day, and found myself thinking how many people would show up if I died? Have I made enough of an impact on the people that I've come into contact with that they would gladly, or rather sadly but willingly, stop what they were doing to console my family or pay last respects? I know that I've met tens of thousands of people since I've been alive and I do everything I can to make every encounter mean something. I like the idea of leaving a department store after having a conversation with the checkstand girl or guy and learning just a bit about them and them, me. Neither of us mey never think on that conversation again, but for that brief, fleeting moment, both of us knew that there was one person interested in us.

I went to the wake the other day, and the thought struck me, 'What would I have to do to ensure that people would remember me and bemoan my passing?' Then it hit me as I left the funeral home, 'I don't want anyone to bemoan my passing.' I want people to be glad that they were able to meet me, that they look back on every transaction with me as a pleasant encounter, that they can recall during my wake or funeral that I really cared about them.

I went to the wake the other day, and I planned my own wake; Kegs, Cake, and Laughs. I want people to celebrate my life, not mourn because it's over. Regardless of when I die I want everyone who's come in contact with me to rejoice that I lived well and loved every minute of it.

I went to work today with the wake I went to the other day on my mind...

2 comments:

Lois Lane v7.0 said...

Exactly how I feel. At some point during the festivities following my funeral, the song "Celebrate" will be played. Followed by a helluva lota southern rock.
And there will be dancing -- or I'm coming back to haunt people. ;)

2cool4school said...

located in the 5th paragraph of your latest blog i noticed this little tidbit: "look back on every transaction with me..."

which reminds me can i get that twenty bucks back before you die? thanks bro!

-2c4s