11.08.2005

Jarhead: The Movie...Another Way For the American Public to Live Vicariously Through Its Military...

I can't say that I've seen this movie and I'm thinking about not seeing it. I'm a strong supporter of what our military does and I back them 110%, but I'm thinking this movie isn't going to be good for 'the cause'. As I've mentioned in previous posts I'm not a fan of people dictating what our military should do if they haven't worn a uniform. I also don't like to hear that people understand everything that the military is doing just because they saw a movie about it. Blackhawk Down, ring any bells? When Fast and the Furious came out everyone was an import car tuner. Even people that didn't own an import or a tunable car would swear that they knew the deal. People who never cared flocked to Autozone and Pep Boys and bought immeasurable amounts of aluminum mesh, tall useless spoilers for there front-wheel drive cars, and shiny, mini fire extinguishers. I predict that after people see this Jarhead movie they will all of the sudden be able to relate to the hardships and trials of an enlisted Marine. How many will actually know the difference between the first Gulf War and the one we are involved in now. I also think that people will talk about the war in casual conversation more, because millions of people have been given what they'd like to believe is a glimpse into war throught the eyes of one Lcpl Anthony Swofford. What they will fail to realize is that they've been given is Sam Mendes' artistic account based on his interpretation of the book Jarhead by Anthony Swofford. The only way to understand what Swofford was going through would be to call him up and talk to him. Period. Just like the car tuners, to get the skinny on tuning go to a shop and talk to a tech. Stay sharp and Piece Out.

No comments: