4.08.2008

Love the Skin Yer In....Because I do....

I'm amazed on a daily basis as I look at the women I come in contact with. Some of the things women do, wear, and/or associate themselves with is painful. Not for me, so much as for them.

I'll give them the fact, society isn't really on their side when it comes to image, accessories and all the other accouterments that come with being a modern woman.

But seriously, the 5'3", 370lb. woman wearing stilettos I just passed in the community college, hallway needs to wise up. You aren't Carrie from Sex in the City and a size zero wouldn't fit around your wrist. I'm not making fun, I'm merely bringing to light an epidemic in society. The images women try to up hold are ridiculous. It doesn't once occur to women who watch; Sex in the City, Gilmore Girls, or the host of other drivel shows on TV, that those shows are cast, shot and watched by other women. When they see the Gilmore Girls sitting around with each other sobbing, watching Gone with the Wind for the umpteenth time and eating Moose Tracks out of the gallon, they are watching with tons of other chicks. It's comedic and tragic, how strictly women adhere to the 'social norms' set forth in those program when they talk about what men want. How can Carries' perpetually single/depressed self possibly be the go-to on what men want?

Men's shows and magazines aren't very helpful either. Maxim, the now defunct FHM, Details (when they aren't being GAY.), etc, are on the cutting edge of teaching normal guys 'how-to date supermodels' or the ever popular "Ordinary Dude, Extra-Ordinary Chick" and guys eat it up, like a gallon of tear-soaked Moose Tracks.

Not to be bragadocious but I've been with a few chicks. I'll wait while you interject your sophomoric, Maxim-esque joke about my cleverly named hands, family members or me maybe being from West Virginia. You want to know who the best was?



All of them. For that time in my life they were the best. The true best is the one I'm engaged to right now, but at the time each one of them was what I needed. The same holds true for everyone. The one you're with so long as they aren't criminals, beating you or spending all of your money are perfect. Everyone is scrounging around trying to find the ONE. The one for you won't be the one for me and vise-versa. Mandy wouldn't have been the perfect one if I had met her at any other time than when I did. The same with her, I wasn't her the ONE two years ago or even 15min before we met. When you find the one, the ONE ends up being the one you feel the most comfortable with. The one you can't see yourself without. Everyone has their own criteria and that's fine...Just don't glean it from a night-time drama or a trash rag.


I'm sure I can find more to say about this but I have to get to class...


God Bless,
WP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so very true. For your next experiment in fashion...stop by the mall and check out the hotties trolling those hall ways!