10.25.2005

International Travel...Woman Style...

So a friend of mine is planning a trip to Europe in the coming months. It's a trip she's been wanting to take since, forever. I will call my friend, for the sake of her dignity and to save her the embarrassment; Jane. Jane picks me up for lunch today like we've done in the past and says before we go eat I need to buy a piece of luggage for my European excursion. Fine, let's go. we get to the store and look at various pieces of wheeled, hard-back, soft-back, handled, strapped, folding, etc...luggage. I've already offered her my rolling, hard-back Samsonite suitcase that has served me well during many international jaunts. She says cool and that she'll use my trusty case, but mentions that because of the shopping that she's planning on doing that she'll need a nearly empty bag to bring all of her purchases back with her. I've done quite a bit of international travelling and when venturing forth on these treks I live by the mantra: "Lighter= Faster= more enjoyable trip." Jane on the other hand wants to bring her entire wardrobe and expects it to double in size while she's over there. Not only that, she's ok with wrestling two full-size suitcases through the host of international airports and the countless customs counters that she'll have to go through. I do most of my travelling with one suitcase and a backpack and anything that I purchase if it's big enough that I need another suitcase I send it back to the states by mail and if I beat the stuff back I just wait for it. I could not for the life of me get her to understand this concept. She insists on hand carrying eveerything.
Here's the icing on the cake. Undoubtedly you've all heard of backpacking through Europe. How about Wheeling your Backpack through Europe. She wanted to buy a backpack on wheels. I'm not even going to say anything else about that because the idiocy is evident. Once again...I'm out...Piece

No comments: