12.19.2005

How Much Fun Is Rap Music?...I Dare Say It Is Quite Fun...

I'm branching out with a short post about music. My unabashed whiteness is being compromised by my new found enjoyment of rap music. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of 'biz terms' but 'southern rap' is what I'm primarily talking about. That music is just fun. Period. Fun. When Tricky Daddy is rapping with Lil' Jon and Twista with Ozzy Ozbourne's Crazy Train intro looped in the background, come on. That's fun. Ludacris' raps are the embodiment of fun. Carefree fun-loving tracks. For those of you that know me this is a step. I was a firm punk/indie fan. The Postal Service, Fallout Boy, just about any Warped Tour band past and present and some metal. I even dabbled in country for a short minute. I think one of the main selling points of Rap is that it's so infused with ego that you can't help thinking that you could
throw-down with anybody and kick them senseless. That is why 'gangstas', not to be confused with Gangsters, which are usually white men in dark suits gleaning most of their income from prostitution, gun running and gambling with occasional assassination sprinkled in for fun, walk around all billy-bronco-buster. The ego is fun until some punk-crank 15 year old steps-up, talking to you like he's going to snuff you if you look at him wrong. But yeah if kept in context, rap is fun. Go out and listen to some rap music. Piece Out.

No comments: